[Histonet] Section thickness

Merced Leiker leiker <@t> buffalo.edu
Tue Mar 3 08:49:42 CST 2009

I've read that 4-5um is "average", and that's what I typically go by for
paraffins, but then it could depend on tissue type as Rene recommended.  I
end up having to cut frozens at 8-10um because for some reason it's very
difficult to cut any thinner on the cyrostat I use (an old Vibratome
model).  But doesn't seem to matter for our applications - we do mostly
immunofluorescence & some H&E.

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
354 Biomedical Research Building
School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214
Ph: (716) 829-6033
Fx: (716) 829-2725

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.

--On Tuesday, March 03, 2009 9:14 AM -0500 "Vanessa J. Phelan"
<vjp2105 <@t> columbia.edu> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Just wondering what thickness you cut sections at? I was always used to
> cutting at 2-3 microns in my last lab, however in my new place they are
> cutting at 6 microns (for both H & Es and IHC), which seems to me as
> really quite thick! What would be the average cutting thickness?
>
> Thanks a mill,
>
> Vanessa

Merced M Leiker
Research Technician II
354 Biomedical Research Building
School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
State University of New York at Buffalo
3435 Main St, Buffalo, NY 14214
Ph: (716) 829-6033
Fx: (716) 829-2725

No trees were harmed in the sending of this email.
However, many electrons were severely inconvienienced!