[Histonet] Please Help!

Nicholas David Evans ndevans <@t> stanford.edu
Fri Jul 31 14:36:43 CDT 2009

We fix skin by sandwiching it between two sponges soaked in either 4% PFA
or 0.4%PFA (for paraffin or cryo respectively) and compressed in a
cassette. This flattens the skin. Following several hours fixation the
skin is usually flat and rigid enough to handle and embed. It can then
either by dehydrated for paraffin or soaked in sucrose for cryo.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of DELIA
GARCIA
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 11:42 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Please Help!

Hello,

I am in dire need of some suggestions. I work for a Derm lab and we
occasionally get fresh skin punches that we freeze to do FITC
(immunoflouresence). I have a really hard tiime keeping the tissue from
curling makeing almost impossible to get a decent section on the slide.
Anyone out there that might have experienced the same thing I would love
to learn your techniques that overcame this problem. I have tried lightly
blowing, freeze spraying, and lightly brushing acetone on the cold plate
(not all at the same time). Nothing seems to ease it up. PLEASE HELP! I
have one in the cryostat now. Thank you so very much.

Delia