[Histonet] Cryostat safety question

Beth Millerman beth.millerman <@t> stiefel.com
Wed Jan 7 18:48:27 CST 2009

I have the same cyostat, but it doesn't matter which one you use for
removing tissue from the chuck is a separate issue.  Others may beg to
differ from my technic, but I remove the block from the cryostat and set it
on a paper towel for a couple of mintes. I do not thaw tissue, just soften
it. I take a scapel or small weigh spatula and gently separate it off the
chuck. With a thin layer of OCT in the plastic mold, I return the block
back to its original labeled mold, wrap with aluminum foil, place in a
ziploc, and store it back to the -80C. This is quick and limits exposure to
higher temps.

I have used blocks multiple times, especially for cross reactivity studies
and never had a problem. I am very careful and need reusing the block for
IHC receptor studies. Good luck. This is pretty easy and you can move on to
the next block at the same time.

Beth Millerman/SWC
Senior Research Associate
Stiefel Laboratories, Inc

                   "Andrea Hooper" <anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu>
                   Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

                   Wed 07 Jan 2009 03:40 PM

         Histonet
         <histonet
         @lists.ut
         southwest
         ern.edu>
                cc
         mari.ann.
         mailhiot@
         leica-mic
         rosystems
         .com
           Subject
         [Histonet
         ]
         Cryostat
         safety
         question

The discussion on microtome safety begs me to ask a cryostat question ....

We have a Leica CM3050 cryostat and love it!

How are people (and perhaps only those in research do this) removing
their tissue from the chucks for future use? We often just section a
few slides worth then put the block at -80 deg C for future studies.
Needless to say, it's the most dangerous part of our day.

So what are your suggestions for removing tissue from a chuck (and
melting it isn't really a viable option)?

Thanks in advance,
Andrea