[Histonet] Cryostat safety question

Helen Fedor hfedor <@t> jhmi.edu
Thu Jan 8 15:14:18 CST 2009

Hello,  I had previously sent this but only to the person who asked the question, I think it this works beautifully so decided to resend to the list.

we have a great way to remove the specimens for the chucks. We have a 500cc plastic container with a lid that we have cut an "X" into the center.  We put warm water in the container and then just put the chuck stem into the "X". Within 10 seconds the block can be removed. Still frozen.  We just keep the plastic container at the bench and keep reusing the same one. The water level does need to come all the way up to the lid, But the chuck never gets wet. We do the sealing of the tissue with a tiny amount of OCT to the surface of the still frozen block, while it is still in the cryostat as well.

Helen

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Ingles Claire
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 7:38 PM
To: Histonet
Cc: mari.ann.mailhiot <@t> leica-microsystems.com
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Cryostat safety question

Andrea:
I work in a Mohs clinic where all we cut is frozen skin sections. Needless to say, we don't have 50 chucks laying around... In the morning before clinic starts we put a layer of freezing medium on chucks and put them in the cryostat to freeze. When we get specimens, we add another drop or so to the already frozen 'button' and immediately embed the tissue in it. We usually add another small drop on top after it has begun to freeze, to cover the specimen completely. Cut as normal when frozen. After done cutting all you have to do is use a forceps or other blunt object and pop the bit with the specimen in it away from the 'button' and return the chuck to the cryostat and it can be reused the rest of the day. The specimen is therefore still frozen for storage, and it has a quicker TAT. Plus you won't need nearly so many chucks, as they can be recycled almost as soon as you are done cutting. I usually keep 6-8 'buttons' in my cryostat, and our clinic can process up to 50 separate specimens a day. A word of caution. If your work area is humid sometimes a thin layer of frost can form on the surface of the 'button' and when you attempt to take sections the bit with the tissue will pop off the 'button'. All you need to do is add another drop of medium to the button and 'glue' the two back together. If you are going a while between cutting sessions, I usually store my 'buttons' upside(mountant side) down on one of the cryostat surfaces. It doesn't seem to develop the frost layer. Useful if you have tiny specimens.
Hope my verbose explanation is helpful. Feel free to e-mail if you have any questions or are confused about my explanation.

Claire Ingles
Madison WI