[Histonet] RE: testing cutting ability--This is starting to ReallyAnnoy me.

Rittman, Barry R Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Mon Feb 23 18:32:26 CST 2009

Joe
how many previous lives did you have, and what were you in each of them?

I think that it is a great idea to have individuals cutting some test blocks.
While it is true that you can fire individuals within their probationary period, the pressure from administration in many cases is not to do so and you have wasated time trying to train them to the position. It is also a very expensive proposition both in time and financially to advertise positions and interview for these positions.
You certainly cannot determine an individuals expertise by their resume or even by certification.
After all what does 20 years experience denote? It can be a fruitfull 20 years with varied experiences or one year repeated 20 times. I would opt for the individual who has 20 years varied experience.
Let the applicants cut some blocks, with the due consideration that interviewing is stressful for them as well as for the interviewer.
Barry

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of JoeNocito [jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 6:16 PM
To: 'Peter Carroll'
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: testing cutting ability--This is starting   to      ReallyAnnoy me.

In a previous life, I went on a two week vacation. When I came back, I had
two new techs that I never had a chance to interview. They were hired in my
absence (that's why it's a previous life). They couldn't cut, embed or do
special stains. Being a clinical training site, I proceeded to teach these
"experienced" techs just like I taught my students. I was furious at the
powers at be because of this situation. These people couldn't handle it and
both quit with in a year. When I started interviewing for those positions, I
gave each applicant a 20 question exam and gave them 5 blocks to cut. I
needed to have an objective way to choose the best candidate so I would not
have any repercussions or accusations that I hired one over the other
because one had longer hair or a prettier smile or because I had something
against some one. The lab was getting busier by the day and I just couldn't
afford to teach "experienced" techs from scratch. Just my four cents worth
(inflation is a killer).