[Histonet] RE: testing cutting ability--This is starting to ReallyAnnoy me.

JoeNocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Mon Feb 23 18:16:14 CST 2009

In a previous life, I went on a two week vacation. When I came back, I had
two new techs that I never had a chance to interview. They were hired in my
absence (that's why it's a previous life). They couldn't cut, embed or do
special stains. Being a clinical training site, I proceeded to teach these
"experienced" techs just like I taught my students. I was furious at the
powers at be because of this situation. These people couldn't handle it and
both quit with in a year. When I started interviewing for those positions, I
gave each applicant a 20 question exam and gave them 5 blocks to cut. I
needed to have an objective way to choose the best candidate so I would not
have any repercussions or accusations that I hired one over the other
because one had longer hair or a prettier smile or because I had something
against some one. The lab was getting busier by the day and I just couldn't
afford to teach "experienced" techs from scratch. Just my four cents worth
(inflation is a killer).

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Peter
Carroll
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 3:26 PM
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] RE: testing cutting ability--This is starting to
ReallyAnnoy me.

 > Jeez, are clinical histopath labs just sweat-shops?

Pretty much. Having spent years doing path at a huge local hospital
which featured a slave-driving lab director who was less qualified to
run the lab than half the people working in it, I must say that I agree
with this observation.

At the same time, as much as I enjoy my more laid-back research path
position now, I'd get fired in a heartbeat if I produced only one block
every 30 minutes. Actually, I just got finished doing closer to 40 in
the last hour, and today was a fairly slow day (yet not at all on par
with the old clinical stats, were 8-12 techs embedded/sectioned closer
to 800-1000 blocks per shift).

Charles.Embrey wrote:
> Jerry, you are right that clinical work is different from research.  You
are wrong to consider 20 blocks per hour to be a "sweat-shop" pace. I've
know scores of histotechs that cut well over 20 blocks per hour and produce
high quality slides. Sorry you feel offended by this discussion but there is
a real world outside of your university walls.