[Histonet] Bouin's rinsing protocol

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Mon Feb 2 16:22:45 CST 2009

Geoff is correct on this, and even after rinsing, whether with 50% or 70%
alcohol for a long time, we were never able to totally remove the picric
acid prior to processing. The only way we successfully removed the picric
acid was after sections were deparaffinized and rehydrated.  At that point
we rinsed sections with running tap water until the picric acid e.g. yellow
color was totally removed. The old way learned years ago, was to rinse for
10 minutes before proceeding to staining, however we found the picric acid
rinsed away in less time, and did this by examining sections with naked eye.

This has been posted on Histonet many times over the years, so be sure and
do a search in Archives. Some people use saturated lithium carbonate in 70%
alcohol for picric acid removal.

Just curious, are all your tissues fixed in Bouins, or just some special
tissue samples?  The only time we use Bouins anymore is to fix the
occasional testis or eye.  However, Davidson's has replaced Bouins for eyes
to avoid having to deal with picric acid which seems to eventually turn
everything it touches yellow.  We were very careful with big studies and
large volumes of tissues fixed in Bouins to change the first alcohols (70%,
80%, and 95%) daily after Bouins fixed tissue was processed in our VIP.

Gayle M. Callis
HTL(ASCP)HT,MT
Bozeman MT