[Histonet] sharpen permanent knife blades

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Tue Dec 22 10:31:03 CST 2009

I agree with most of what you have stated and espcially with sticking with one company once you get things moving in the right direction. However, if one truly knows how to properly set and/or adjust cutting angles at the microtome, I would definely keep cost at a high consideration if quality is uniform across vendors. Of course, everyone also has various demands as related to workload volume and study turnaround time. These variables should also be considered and again, especially if product quality is not compromised.

Jack Ratliff

Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:36:43 +0000
From: mucram11 <@t> comcast.net
To: ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
CC: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; mstone <@t> cmhlink.org; asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] sharpen permanent knife blades

Different companies have varied angles on how a knife is sharpened for their equipment.  A knife sharpened by one company will generally be somewhat different in the angle of the edge than another when you begin cutting.  Some may have a flatter edge or a fatter edge at the top cutting portion.  These are not always easy to see and can cause issues with sectioning although sharpness is the same or very  close.  Using several different companies can lead to problems in adjusting the knife angle for sectioning from one to another.  I would select one company and stay with it to avoid these issues.  I found a company I preferred and then stuck with them rather than fight the problems over a few dollars.

Pam Marcum