[Histonet] procedure for osmium and potassium chromate?

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Thu Dec 3 10:14:56 CST 2009

OK, light microscopy.
I think frozen sections of formalin fixed (formalin with calcium)
material is the way to go here. Wash out the formalin as it will react
with the dicrhomate then "fix" with Os or Os-dichromate.
Altman's fix is equal parts of 2% aqueous osmium and 5% aqueous
potassium dichromate. There are many variations on this mix, I doubt if
concentration matters much. Fix sections on slides for an hour or two,
wash well.
I have fixed mouse kidney with osmium-dichromate for paraffin embedding.
The tissue is VERY brittle and hard to cut. I would not expect good results.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.