[Histonet] water on slides?

Josie Britton JCBRITTON <@t> Cheshire-Med.COM
Mon Aug 24 12:20:11 CDT 2009

When this happens in our lab, we put Drierite (anhydrous calcium
sulfate) into the clearing agents.  Just put enough to have not quite a
solid layer on the bottom of the staining well, so it will not block the
staining rack from going all the way into the clearing agent.  We get
ours from W.A. Hammond Drierite Company LTD, Xenia, Ohio 45385.
Telephone number 937-376-2927.  I hope this helps!

Josie Britton HT

Cheshire Medical Center

Keene, NH 03431

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Hayes,
Tina J.
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 12:41 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] water on slides?

We are having a problem with what seems to be water on our slides.  We

have had very high humidity levels in the air.  It seems that we look at

the slides before taking them to the pathology office, one pathologist

reviews them and sees little or no water droplets, but as they sit and

another pathologist reads them later, like the following day, the

droplets are very apparent.

We use Clearite-3.  We have no xylene in our lab.  We also coverslip

with Permount.

Is it possible that the clearite-3 and/or Permount is absorbing moisture

from the atmosphere to the slides?

And if so, do you have any suggestions for combating this issue?