[Histonet] CNS Fixation

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Apr 17 10:27:53 CDT 2009

Sara:
We always fixed human brains and CNS material in NBF and I really would not like to use a mixed fixative that has 2 different ways of action (coagulation and cross-linking). The problem can be solved at the sections level (6-8 µm) and  totally draining the water from underneath the section, followed by oven drying at 60ºC for at least 30 minutes. Our sections seldom fell.
René J.

--- On Fri, 4/17/09, Breeden, Sara <sbreeden <@t> nmda.nmsu.edu> wrote:

From: Breeden, Sara <sbreeden <@t> nmda.nmsu.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] CNS Fixation
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Friday, April 17, 2009, 10:36 AM

Yes, I'm back.  I need the expertise of this group.

I am trying to convince my three pathologists that fixation in alcoholic
formalin is the best route for whole brain and spinal cord.  This has
been an uphill battle and in order to prevent sections from peeling off
during staining, I am still pre-drying necropsy brain slides for an
extra 20 minutes before putting on the auto-stainer (even this does not
prevent all instances). I need some expert ammunition for my "battle"
despite the fact that the SOP I've written requires it and it is rarely
followed.  If alcoholic formalin is not as good as some other method,
I'm open to suggestion. Of course, convincing them that thinner sections
would also help - but one step at a time!  Thank you in advance!

Sally Breeden, HT(ASCP)

NM Dept. of Agriculture

Veterinary Diagnostic Services

PO Box 4700