[Histonet] Edge effect on IHC-P

Jan Shivers shive003 <@t> umn.edu
Thu Apr 9 13:45:17 CDT 2009

Sam,

Could you give us a few facts from your protocol?  They may help pin down
what might be causing your edge effect.

How long does your tissue stay on the grossing/trimming table before being
put into fixative?
What type of fixative are you using?  How fresh is it?
How long to you fix?
What temps to you perform IHC at?
How long are your incubations?
Etc.

Jan Shivers
UMN VDL

----- Original Message -----
From: "Perry, Samuel" <Samuel_Perry <@t> DFCI.HARVARD.EDU>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2009 1:31 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Edge effect on IHC-P

Hi All,

I am having variable staining when performing IHC.  I seem to get an edge
effect
where the edge of the tissue shows increased DAB staining compared to the
middle
of the tissue.  I have tried testing many fixation variables and still
haven't
found an edge affect culprit.  I'm wondering if anyone in the community has
experienced and corrected this problem.  Thanks for you help!

-Sam Perry

Dana Farber Cancer Institute

Boston MA

Research Technician

e-mail
HelpLine at
http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in
error
but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and
properly
dispose of the e-mail.