[Histonet] "FREEZY" spray

Jennifer MacDonald JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu
Mon Apr 6 17:34:03 CDT 2009

Based on my limited knowledge of liquid nitrogen I would say no.  Is it
used with a propellant?

"Ingles Claire " <CIngles <@t> uwhealth.org>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
04/06/2009 03:13 PM

undisclosed-recipients:;
cc
Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject
RE: [Histonet] "FREEZY" spray

Does this apply to Liquid Nitrogen as well? I'd hate to have to try to cut
fatty sections in the cryostat without it!
Claire

________________________________

Federal registry 1910.1030
"All procedures involving blood or other potential infectious materials
shall be performed in such a manner as to minimize splashing, spraying,
spattering, or generation of droplets of these substances."

NCCLS Document M29-T (now CLSI)
"Frozen sections done on unfixed tissue pose a high risk because accidents
are common.  Freezing of tissue does not inactivate infectious agents.
Freezing propellants under pressure should not be used for frozen sections
as they may cause spattering of droplets of infectious material."

Based on the above statements, freezing spray should NOT be used in a
cryostat with unfixed tissue.

Jennifer MacDonald