[Histonet] Problems with mouse brains

kemlo kemlo <@t> f2s.com
Sun Apr 5 02:48:55 CDT 2009

Agree, poor formalin fixation will allow nuclear bubbling which some
authorities put down to the effects of heat on the sub optimally stabilised
proteins. What a marvellous phrase "your formol is not well tamponated".
Wish I had thought of that......

I will of course steal it if you allow such plagiarism?

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Ana Resendes
Sent: 04 April 2009 15:16
To: Randolph-Habecker, Julie
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Problems with mouse brains

have very light H&E staining: first you should check if either your eosin or
haematoxilin are over used

nuclear bubbling: can be a lot of things but can be inclusion.
Brain sections are big so make at least a 24 h inclusion process.

and extensive tissue cracking: could be over heating or bad inclusion. You
have to check if reagents in inclusors are ok or over passed, I would change
all reagents.

I also have noticed some formalin pigment: your formol is not well
tamponated

--
Ana Resendes
DVM, MSc, PhD