[Histonet] "FREEZY" spray

Jennifer MacDonald JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu
Wed Apr 1 11:08:30 CDT 2009

Federal registry 1910.1030
“All procedures involving blood or other potential infectious materials
shall be performed in such a manner as to minimize splashing, spraying,
spattering, or generation of droplets of these substances.”

NCCLS Document M29-T (now CLSI)
“Frozen sections done on unfixed tissue pose a high risk because accidents
are common.  Freezing of tissue does not inactivate infectious agents.
Freezing propellants under pressure should not be used for frozen sections
as they may cause spattering of droplets of infectious material.”

Based on the above statements, freezing spray should NOT be used in a
cryostat with unfixed tissue.

Jennifer MacDonald

"Senn, Amy R" <arsenn <@t> hsh.org>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
04/01/2009 08:25 AM

<Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
cc

Subject
[Histonet] "FREEZY" spray

I was taught that freeze spray shouldn't be used - ever - on any tissue
at all.

We were told that it damages the tissue.  Am I wrong??

We don't even use it when doing frozens - we have a different system now
that extracts all the warmth and freezes the tissue completely so that
we don't need the spray at all.

Thanks for everyone's input on this! It will answer a lot of questions
in our lab!

Amy HT

Confidentiality Disclaimer: The information contained in this
communication may be confidential, is intended for the use of the
recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or
any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you received this
communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and
delete the original message and any copy of it from your computer system.
Thank You