[Histonet] PAS with Glycogen Digestion - Solution Not Working

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Oct 24 10:38:10 CDT 2008

Tanisha:
Being an enzyme, you cannot use diastase in distilled water. You have to prepare a diastase buffer at pH7 to dissolve the diastase and do the digestion at 37ºC during 30 minutes. That will work.
Please, do not try to use saliva!
René J.

--- On Fri, 10/24/08, McKnight, Tanisha <tanisha.mcknight <@t> covance.com> wrote:

From: McKnight, Tanisha <tanisha.mcknight <@t> covance.com>
Subject: [Histonet] PAS with Glycogen Digestion - Solution Not Working
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Friday, October 24, 2008, 11:26 AM

Hi All:

I am in the process of working up a PAS Staining protocol. The PAS stain
is working fine, but I am unable to get my tissue to digest. I am using
.5g of Diastase in 50ml of DI water. I tried heating the solution in a
water bath for 30 min, 1 hour and 1.5 hours and it still looks the same
as the one without digestion. Could I be using the wrong Diastase? If
so, does anyone have any suggestions for a new product?

Thanks,

Tanisha Neely, HT(ASCP)
AP-Histology/Specimen Management
 <mailto:tanisha.mcknight <@t> covance.com>