[Histonet] Animal Tissue processing question

stephanie.d.rivera <@t> gsk.com stephanie.d.rivera <@t> gsk.com
Mon Jun 23 15:14:28 CDT 2008

Try this protocol and adjust to your lab. See how the microtomy is for
you.

Rats, Dog,Primate,Pig all gets processed on the same protocol. 40 min in
all solutions +parrafin.(Formalin, 70, 80,95,95,100,100,100, xylene 3
changes). Including eyes.  Dog &primate eyes are fixed in 3%
gluteraldehdye then transferred to 10%formalin.

All Testes and Rodent eyes start in 70% alcohol,80,95,95,100,100,100,
xylene (3)changes.
Fix testes in bouins for 24-48 hrs then transfer to 70%alcohol and process
from there. Stay consistent with fixation time.

Dog and primate brains process from 70% alcohol for 90minutes in all
reagents on different protocol.

Brains and Femoral head fixed in 30 % formalin. 24 hrs then tranfer to 10%
formalin. Bones get decal. Some labs fix everything in 10% Formalin.

All mice organs are processed on different protocol. 30 minutes in all
reagents start with formalin. Eyes start in 70%.

Stephanie D. Rivera
Safety Assessment Department
GlaxoSmithKline
709 Swedeland RD
King of Prussia, PA 19406
phone: 610-270-7340
fax: 610-270-7202

histoinfo <@t> comcast.net
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
18-Jun-2008 16:13

cc

Subject
[Histonet] Animal Tissue processing question

Dear Histonetters,
After doing human histology for 15 years I am excited to have the
opportunity to help start up a brand new research histology laboratory. It
is a very small lab so I will still have my day job. But it is all new and
different and a bit exciting. I would like to ask your help with the
processing times. I know animal tissue is dryer so I am thinking less time
in alcohol but am looking to those of you out there with the experience
for a place to start when it comes to VIP processing times.  I know I will
be processing tissues from pigs and primates if that makes a difference.
Brand new VIP, brand new embedding center, brand new microtome. . . . I
can't tell you how exciting this is. Thanks for all your help.
Jennifer