[Histonet] Animal Tissue processing question

Burton, Lynn Lynn.Burton <@t> Illinois.gov
Thu Jun 19 16:13:33 CDT 2008

Here, at the Animal Disease Lab, in Galesburg, Illinois, we get tissues from every species one can imagine, and some you can't. We accept cases from area zoos, farms and veterinary clinics. These may be submissions of all organs or biopsies. With very few exceptions we use the following times on a Tissue Tek VIP processor:
1. formalin 30 minutes
2. formalin 30 minutes
3. 70% ETOH 30 minutes
4. 80% ETOH 30 minutes
5. 95% ETOH 30 minutes
6. 100 % ETOH 30 minutes
7. SAA
8. SAA
9. xylene or substitute, we've been using slide brite 45 minutes
10. SAA
11. paraffin 30 minutes
12. SAA
13. SAA
14. SAA

We process tissues daily using a delayed start program. All tissues trimmed that day are processed together. There are some tissues which are treated specially, such as lipomas, prior to processing. Most of our tissues are mailed or shipped to us in 10% NBF and so they have been fixed adequately prior to their arrival. I hope this is of help to you.
Lynn Burton
Animal Disease Lab
Galesburg, Il