[Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 55, Issue 29

John Spair John.Spair <@t> multicare.org
Wed Jun 18 15:30:25 CDT 2008

We've been using CoPath for about 7 years now, and we print out our slide labels from CoPath that has both accession number and patient's name.  You can have your slide label designed however you want it practically, so if you only want accession number and no name, tell them that.  Making labels changes in CoPath is not hard.  We are accredited by both CAP and JCAHO, and CAP doesn't specify how many identifiers should be on a slide label - but I believe JCAHO refers to 2 patient identifiers.  As with probably most hospital sites, generally if you're a CAP accredited laboratory, JCAHO doesn't really inspect you - besides perhaps doing a walk through and looking for things like safety issues, envrionmental issues, competency, etc.  I've often thought if I had to use 2 identifiers on everything, wouldn't that be a bit much to put on a paraffin block?  Good luck with your CoPath implementation.

----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu <mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu> ] On Behalf Of Pardue,
Judith
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:03 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Slide labeling

Our Path lab is changing over to Co-Path, and we were told our slides
had to have two patient identifiers. We only put the surgical number on
our slides and have not seen any slides from other labs with more than
one identifier. Is this is a CAP requirement.

Gale Pardue

Memorial Health Care System

Judith_Pardue <@t> memorial.org

John Spair, Manager
Pathology Services
LABORATORIES Northwest
MultiCare Health System
PO Box 5299, Tacoma WA  98415
Phone: 253-403-6090 Fax: 253-403-1357

"MMS <multicare.org>" made the following annotations.
NOTICE:  This e-mail and the attachments hereto, if any, may contain privileged and/or confidential information.  It is intended only for use by the named addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any examination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and the attachments hereto, if any, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by email or telephone and permanently delete this e-mail and the attachments hereto, if any, and destroy any printout thereof. MultiCare Health System, Tacoma, WA 98415 (253) 403-1000.