[Histonet] IHC staining of previously H&E-stained prostate cores

Sebree Linda A. LSebree <@t> uwhealth.org
Mon Jun 23 10:47:27 CDT 2008

We haven't specifically restained prostate bxs for IHC but we have IHC
stained over H&E staining on other tissues.  We remove the coverslip
tape with a 50/50 xylene/acetone mix, then run down through xylene and
graded alcohols to remove any remaining mounting media and hydrate to
water.  From here we use our usual protocol minus any deparaffinization
step.  This has always worked fine for us unless the original H&E slide
was not a "+" slide in which case we sometimes lose tissue.

Linda A. Sebree
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
IHC/ISH Laboratory
DB1-223 VAH
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792
(608)265-6596

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
JMyers1 <@t> aol.com
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2008 10:04 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] IHC staining of previously H&E-stained prostate
cores

I'm trying to stain previously H&E-stained prostate core biopsies  for
HMW-CK
and P504S, and I've been obtaining less than ideal results.  I  suspect
that
this might be caused by inadequate removal of mounting  media (once the
tape-coverslip is removed with acetone) or over/under-  retrieval, but I
could
really use some advice from someone who has already  worked through a
situation
like this.

fuel-efficient used cars.