[Histonet] FW: Anatomic computer systems

Thomas Jasper tjasper <@t> copc.net
Wed Jun 18 18:36:57 CDT 2008

Hey Cheryl,

I am in total agreement with you about having AP personnel handling case
accessioning for histology.  Accessioning/logging in cases may not be
rocket science.  That said, it is important to be consistent and pay
close attention when this task is performed.  It is difficult enough
having pathology personnel get things correctly entered all the time.
Having clinical lab staff accurately and efficiently entering path
specimens into your AP LIS is an unreal expectation.
This is not the fault of the clinical lab.  There is a completely
different mind-set at work for the processing of clinical lab specimens.
Not knowing the nature and scope of your service, I'd venture to guess
that you receive specimens from multiple locations.  This creates a
level of complexity for billing, which, from an administrative
standpoint, is best served by having AP personnel handle the specimens.
AP personnel also (for the most part) are aware of the downstream
activity associated with path specimens, such as IHC and special stain
panels, levels and extra unstained cuts, etc.  To flip it around, how
much sense would it make for AP staff to log in general lab specimens?
Bad idea in my book.  Again, not a realistic approach, and ultimately a
patient care issue.
At my previous employer we switched from PowerPath to SSC (SoftPath).
This was unfavorable in my opinion, but that's another story.  Anyway,
since Soft was "integrated" we needed to have patients entered into the
Soft system before AP could be done on them.  Having non-AP personnel do
this (general demographics, etc.) was ok, but in AP we still brought up
the patients and entered the appropriate data for our purposes.  My
point being...that is the limit I'd have non-AP personnel involved.  We
actually were forced into this practice as we no longer had a connection
to registration in AP.
Also, your point about anatomic and clinical being like apples and
bananas is right on.  I would tell my former lab administrators on a
regular basis that AP does not function well by forcing the "yoke" of
clinical lab upon it.  This was a frustrating point.  Many
administrators do not understand AP as they come from the clinical lab
world.  Most believe the methods and practices they're familiar with
will apply to AP.  I'm sure I don't need to preach to the choir here,
but it's just not the same.
As far as LIS systems go, I'm happy to say that my current employer uses
PowerPath.  In my opinion PowerPath is one of the best AP LIS systems
available.  I do not mean to negatively criticize any other systems that
I've no personal experience with.  I would however be less than thrilled
if I were forced to switch from PowerPath to Soft again.  To be fair,
Soft works for some people and probably has it's advocates, it's just
not my favorite.
Good luck,
Tom J.

Thomas Jasper HT (ASCP) BAS
Histology Supervisor
Central Oregon Regional Pathology Services
Bend, OR 97701
541/693-2677
tjasper <@t> copc.net