[Histonet] Re: Lendrum stains

Bryan Llewellyn llewllew <@t> shaw.ca
Fri Jan 4 12:58:28 CST 2008

I trained in the UK during the early 1960s and went to Bromley Technical
College every Friday night, a real pain since it was on the edge of South
London and I lived on the edge of North London.  The instructor was
Wallington, of the text book, and he was regularly in contact with Lendrum.
Even in those days (63 and 64) Lendrum was an exception among "dye
tinkerers".  Wallington told us that producing new methods for fibrin was
pretty much a hobby for Lendrum.  The one noted as the long method on
StainsFile is actually from a variation given to Wallington by Lendrum
earlier in that week of that Friday's lecture.

I used to use all those methods when I was in Winnipeg during the 1970s,
mostly on rejecting kidney transplants.  Even then immunifluorescence was
replacing staining methods for fibrin, certainly on renal biopsies.  I
always found the Obadiah an unsatisfactory stain, the Masson 44/41 too.  The
colours just didn't look right to me.  The picro-mallory is, however, one of
the stars in trichrome staining if done on properly prepared material.  I
always found it absolutely beautiful to look at, but then, I am noted as
being a bit strange about things like that.

I have substituted amido black 10B (naphthol blue black, CI # 20470) for
naphthalene blue black CS, and it worked fine.  They are structurally very
similar.

Bryan Llewellyn