[Histonet] Re: Lendrum stains

Houston, Ronald Ronald.Houston <@t> nationwidechildrens.org
Fri Jan 4 13:25:56 CST 2008

I fondly remember performing Lendrum's stains in a previous life back
home in Scotland. The color contrasts of many of the techniques remains
unsurpassed as far as tinctorial staining is concerned.

Not so sure why none of the methods really took off in the States;
perhaps you're right, Bob, it may have had to do with the fact that he
got many of the dyes directly from the mills.

Professor Alan C Lendrum was Professor of Pathology at both Glasgow and
Dundee Universities (the latter until 1972 when I believe he retired).

Perhaps John Bancroft, Peter Stoward and/or Richard Horobin would be
able to comment more on Professor Lendrum, if they still subscribe to
Histonet. It is certainly true that he was one of the last
histopathologists who understood the properties of the dyes and the
theory behind the techniques he introduced with his colleagues.

His work was true Art in histology; alas a dieing trait (no pun
intended).

As far as I am concerned, his MSB (Martius Yellow, Crystal Scarlet,
Soluble Blue) is still the best method for fibrin demonstration.

Ronnie

Ronnie Houston, MS, HT(ASCP)QIHC

Anatomic Pathology Manager

Nationwide Children's Hospital

700 Children's Drive

Columbus, OH 43205

(614) 722 5465

Ronald.Houston <@t> NationwideChildrens.org

Columbus Children's Hospital is now Nationwide Children's Hospital

www.NationwideChildrens.org