AW: [Histonet] hb crystals

Jennifer MacDonald JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu
Fri Feb 29 12:45:35 CST 2008

Formalin pigment can be confirmed by removing it.  You can use alcoholic
picric acid or alkaline alcohol.

Jennifer MacDonald
Director, Histotechnician Training Program
Mt. San Antonio College
1100 N. Grand Ave.
Walnut, CA 91789
(909) 594-5611 ext. 4884
jmacdonald <@t> mtsac.edu

Paul Bradbury <histology.bc <@t> shaw.ca>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
02/28/2008 04:27 PM

gu.lang <@t> gmx.at, HistoNet Server <histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: AW: [Histonet] hb crystals

I have never seen the PAS reaction give positive results with formalin
pigment. Even if it did react, how would it be seen. The pigment is
already dark brown-black, so colouring it red would have no visible
effect. The same problem applies to any silver methods which might work
... it's already almost black, so making it a "darker black" would not
be much help. The only definitive way to identify it is to use its
birefringent properties.

Paul
Kamloops, Canada