AW: AW: [Histonet] hb crystals

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Fri Feb 29 09:46:08 CST 2008

I have to admit, that I have never seen it personally. But in my histobooks,
there is allways the hint, that that could happen with tissue that was fixed
in acid formalin (as  staining-artefacts). Perhaps with PAS it forms a
purple colour around the pigment?

Gudrun Lang

Biomed. Analytikerin
Histolabor
Akh Linz
Krankenhausstr. 9
4020 Linz
+43(0)732/7806-6754
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Paul Bradbury [mailto:histology.bc <@t> shaw.ca]
Gesendet: Freitag, 29. Februar 2008 01:27
An: gu.lang <@t> gmx.at; HistoNet Server
Betreff: Re: AW: [Histonet] hb crystals

I have never seen the PAS reaction give positive results with formalin
pigment. Even if it did react, how would it be seen. The pigment is
already dark brown-black, so colouring it red would have no visible
effect. The same problem applies to any silver methods which might work
... it's already almost black, so making it a "darker black" would not
be much help. The only definitive way to identify it is to use its
birefringent properties.

Paul
Kamloops, Canada