[Histonet] RE: goldners trichrome

Prior, Andrew Andrew.Prior <@t> Smith-Nephew.com
Thu Feb 28 02:22:36 CST 2008

Ricki,
We've used this protocol in the past with some success on 15µm ground MMA sections. It was adapted from a Nottingham University method. As usual, you may need to tweak the times to suit your sections.
Good Luck.

Andrew Prior
Histologist
Smith &Nephew Research Centre
York Science Park
Heslington
York
YO10 5DF
UK

Staining Protocol:

Solutions:

*	Ponceau/Acid Fuchsin Stock Solution:
1.5 g - Ponceau 2R.
0.5 g Acid Fuchsin.
2 ml Acetic Acid (glacial).
98 ml Distilled Water.

*	Azophloxine Stock Solution:
0.5 g Acid Red 1.
0.6 ml Acetic Acid (glacial).
99.4ml Distilled Water.

*	Ponceau Working Solution:
12ml Ponceau/Acid Fuchsin Stock Solution.
8ml Azophloxine Stock Solution.
80 ml 0.2% Acetic Acid.

*	Orange G Solution:
1 g Orange G.
1.5g Phosphomolybdic Acid.
250 ml Distilled Water.

*	Light Green Solution:
1 g Light Green (Yellowish).
1 ml Acetic Acid (glacial).
500 ml Distilled Water.

Method:
1)	Slides in distilled water for 15 minutes.
2)	Stain in Weigert's Haematoxylin for 30 minutes.
3)	Wash in running tap water for 2 minutes.
4)	Differentiate in 0.5% acid alcohol (30 seconds).
5)	Wash in water for 20 minutes.
6)	Stain in Ponceau Working Solution for 5 minutes.
7)	Rinse in 1% Acetic Acid for 15 seconds.
8)	Stain in Orange G Solution for 20 minutes.
9)	Rinse in 1% Acetic Acid for 10 seconds.
10)	Stain in Light Green Solution for 20 minutes.
11)	Rinse in water.
12)	Blot dry.

Expected Results:
Nuclei = blue/black.