[Histonet] HT schools

Amber McKenzie amber.mckenzie <@t> gastrodocs.net
Mon Aug 4 12:08:53 CDT 2008

Even if the online schools teach the theory of Histology, they expect the supervisor/techs to teach the potential HT's how to perform Histology.  Even though there is no practical anymore, potential HT's have to be taught the hands on part of the job with OJT.  Even though I've heard many people say that there is no more OJT, really there is b/c if these future HT's don't attend an actual HT school where there are classrooms/practice labs full of teachers, then we as working HT's have to teach our future co-workers how to do our job so that we'll have more people to pick from to hire.  Does any other profession handle their future employee's like this or is Histology in a category of its own?

-----Original Message-----
From: Patsy Ruegg [mailto:pruegg <@t> ihctech.net]
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2008 11:46 AM
To: 'Cheri Miller'; rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Amber McKenzie
Subject: RE: [Histonet] HT schools

Remember that now there is no practical portion of the HT exam, so they are

not being tested on hands on experiences anyway.  The most difficult problem

I have with training people on the job (and I have trained many) is that now

they are not prepared to take the exam because they are examined all on

theory.  I have some really well trained people who can do the work really

well, but they have a hard time taking the computer test which they pretty

much have to memorize out of books.

Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC

IHCtech