[Histonet] HT schools

Peggy Bisher mbisher <@t> Princeton.EDU
Mon Aug 4 13:44:49 CDT 2008

I would say that teaching Electron Microscopy is the same. There are a few
schools (two, I believe) that offer an official degree (it's an Associate
Degree) in Electron Microscopy, but most of my learning has been on the job
and that is how I work with my students - one on one.

Here at Princeton we offer a class in electron optics, but it is just
theory.

My first job was at the National Institutes of Health and my boss there had
a degree in theoretical physics. He gave me a few books and I taught myself,
at least in the beginning. He knew the instrument, but nothing about sample
prep.

The Microscopy Society of America does offer a Electron Microscopist
Certification for those who want to have this. But I have been doing EM
since 1980, so never felt the need to be certified.

Margaret E. Bisher
Electron Microscopy & Histology Core Facility Manager
Department of Molecular Biology
Princeton University
Moffett Laboratory, Room 113
Princeton, New Jersey