[Histonet] A question on bone sections

Monfils, Paul PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org
Thu Jan 25 10:02:38 CST 2007

If by a "regular microtome blade" you mean a standard thickness disposable blade, then you will probably have difficulties. Standard disposable blades are too thin to cut very dense tissues without flexing. I do a lot of bone work here , on mice and larger animals. Using a standard disposable blade on bone will often result in chatter or "venetian blind" effect, and sometimes chipping out pieces from the block.  For bone I use Surgipath thick blades.  They twice as thick as standard blades and much more rigid.