[Histonet] surgical brain specimens

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Wed Feb 14 12:17:09 CST 2007

I have found that Vector Labs "Vectabond" holds sections on through almost
any abuse.

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University School of Graduate Medical Sciences
    Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
Miami Shores, Florida  33161

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 11:58 AM
To: Conlon, Paula F.; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] surgical brain specimens

Paula:
  You ask about better sections or better retention?
  We used to section brain at more than 5 µm, specially if there was the
idea of silver staining for Alzheimer's; 5 µm are too thin to visualize the
tangles.
  For retention we always stained the slides the next day they were cut. The
slides were placed vertical on the smaller side for about 1 hour before
being put in the trays, that were left outside the oven during the night.
The next day they were placed in the oven at 60ºC for 30 minutes before
being stained (either routine ot HC).
  René J.

"Conlon, Paula F." <Paula.F.Conlon <@t> Lahey.org> wrote:
  Hi Histonetters, We are receiving more surgical brain sections than we
have in the past. We process the specimens on the Pathos Automatic
Microwave Histoprocessor and we cut the sections at 5 microns. The
sections sometimes do not stay on the slides even though we use Plus
slides. The Neuropathologist is not happy and she has asked me to find
out if there is some way to get better sections. Thank you in advance
for your help.

Paula Conlon

Histology Supervisor

Lahey Clinic

41 Mall Road

Burlington, MA

01805

781-744-1345

See our web page at http://www.lahey.org for a full directory of Lahey
sites, staff, services and career opportunities.

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED FOR THE USE OF THE PERSON TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED.
IT MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM
DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. If you are not the intended recipient, your
use of this message for any purpose is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please delete the message and notify
the sender so that we may correct our records.