[Histonet] Re: PMMA removal

Monfils, Paul PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org
Fri Feb 9 13:59:40 CST 2007

There are a number of solvents that will dissolve PMMA without harming the tissue, including toluene, xylene, chloroform, dichloromethane and ethyl acetate. Some work faster than others, and of course they work faster warm than cold, but keep in mind that they are all flammable. My preference is 2-methoxyethyl acetate, which works relatively rapidly. I use it both for deplasticizing sections before staining, and occasionally for dissolving whole blocks.