[Histonet] Re: PMMA removal

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Fri Feb 9 13:44:00 CST 2007

Caron,

Question:  Are you asking about large bone samples or thin, 5 um microtomed
bone sections?  It is really not possible to totally remove infiltrated and
then polymerized PMMA from larger bone samples or slabs once it is inside
the boney structures/components.

However, one can remove rapidly polymerized bubbled PMMA from outer
surfaces of PMMA infiltrated and then polymerized bone sample without
hurting the bone.  This required grinding away every extra fragment of PMMA
down to the bone, then immersing it into either pure monomer.

Removing PMMA from a microtomed section mounted on a slide is done by
immersion into hot (60C) xylene, several changes.   Other solvents can be
used for this purpose, and is a technic Neil Hand used before doing
immunohistochemical staining on PMMA embedded tissues.

At 12:17 PM 2/9/2007, you wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone has a method for removing PMMA from bone without
>harming the bone. Thank you for your help.
>
>Caron Fournier, BSc, R.T.
>

>Department of Orthopaedics,
>

>Division of Orthopaedic Engineering Research,
>

>U.B.C.
>

>-----

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)