[Histonet] formalin fixed mouse ears-help

Monfils, Paul PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org
Fri Feb 9 12:14:57 CST 2007

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. I found I could largely avoid it by processing the ears on a longer schedule, 40 hours instead of overnight (monday at quitting time through wednesday morning for example), presumably getting more thorough infiltration of the cartilage. As for those already embedded, try putting a drop of liquid dish detergent in the water bath to reduce the surface tension, and make sure the bath is not warmer than it has to be. If that doesn't help with these blocks I would melt them and put the tissue back in paraffin, preferably under vacuum, for several more hours before re-embedding.