[Histonet] frozens on fat

Constance McManus ladylaynah <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Feb 6 10:10:56 CST 2007

Derek,
I do Moh's Histology (human tissue, not mouse) where
we encounter large fatty specimens from time to time.
We orient the tissue then immerse it for approx 10
seconds in Lq nitrogen.  We are able to get some
pretty nice sections of fat when it is really cold.
However, our fat sections tend to be on the thick
side.  Our good fatty sections range from 20 - 30
microns thick.  Also, this is not brown fat.  I'm not
certain how brown fat will cut, but I do know that the
colder the speicmen the better it will cut.  Just take
great care not to get freeze artifact in the cells
from over doing the freezing.

good luck!
Connie McManus, HT
University of Utah Dermatology Dept