[Histonet] Staining frozen sections without fixation

Martin S. sonya.martin <@t> soton.ac.uk
Tue Feb 6 10:45:46 CST 2007

Hi All,

I'm trying to get an aPDCA-1 antibody to work on frozen mouse spleen
sections. The antibody is normally used for FACS however the company
says that it works for immunhistochemistry. They recommend staining
before fixation. Usually I cut frozen sections, dry overnight (room
temp) and fix in acetone (10min at room temp) before putting the
sections in PBS and continuing with staining procedure.

If I stain before fixation;

Will the sections survive?
When should I fix - after primary, secondary etc?
What should I fix with?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sonya