[Histonet] Ground sections.

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed Aug 15 14:02:59 CDT 2007

If these are embedded in methyl methacrylate and very thick, you can
superglue them to white plastic slides or even a glass slide.  You can wash
them off with water, blot and let air dry before gluing.  If you wish,
gently ultrasound them to remove the dirt, a bit of detergent (1 drop in
500 mls water) then rinse with ultrasound and clean water.  If the sections
want to curl, place them under smooth filter paper, and heavy weight on top
to flatten.  Use a weight to mount the sections too unless you use
immersion oil.

If the teeth are merely ground and not embedded at all, just soak them in a
permanent mounting media (maybe some gradient mixtures with xylene/media)
until the section is in the final thick media, then mount the section with
more media. It will be messy and if the tooth is too thick, retraction of
the media will occur.  Just back fill, or seal in some way to retain the
media, prevent retraction due to evaporation.  We used to do this with hand
ground, unembedded ground bone sections, and I still have them in my lab,
the media a bit retracted but can be salvaged.  Paleontologists mount their
ground sections in other gooey stuff, but I do not recall what it is, you
may be able to find that in a publication or a paleontology lab at a nearby
campus.

If there is still plastic surrounding the ground tooth section, do NOT use
a xylene or solvent based mounting media.  You can view the section after
gluing onto a slide by placing a 1 1/2 thick coverglass on top, then
view.  It is possible to mount the coverglass with immersion oil, but it is
messy for storage afterwards.  To view, just turn up the light so it
diffuses well IF the section is on a white plastic slide (surface staining
viewing) or you can sit your clear glass slide on a white paper and do the
same thing.

If you use a solvent based mounting media, it will crack the plastic due to
the softening of the PMMA by xylene.

Have fun!