[Histonet] Ground sections.

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 11:51:13 CDT 2007

Ian:
You should first "clean" them. Wash them as thoroughly as possible, and then mount them.
  At that point you can either mount them on a slide dry, or if they are thin enough, either on a hydrous or anhydrous medium.
  Their water content is so low that you can skip a "graded dehydration", and simply place them in xylene. This will give them some "transparency" and then cover.
  The thing is that even if they are really thin, they are so thick for "coverslipping standards" that eventually they will collect air under the coverslip, unless you use a round one and seal them, in which case the best mounting medium would be hydrated.
  If you can I would advise to look for a copy of the Bolles-Lee's "Microtomist Vade Mecum", or Peter Gray's "Microtomist formulary and guide", where you can read more details on this very old technique
  So, as you can see, you have many options.
  Renj J.

Ian Montgomery <ian.montgomery <@t> bio.gla.ac.uk> wrote:
  I've just been asked by a colleague from the Dental School if I
can mount some ground sections of teeth he's discovered at the back of a
cupboard. Being a simple physiologist I've never dealt with this type of
material so any hints and tips as to the technique I should use would be
welcome? I'm scouring the books, but why re-invent the wheel.

Should I wash the sections to remove years of accumulated dust
and in what, then air dry or dehydrate?

Mounting media, anything that's really recommended? I had
thought of Entallin but I'm open to other suggestions.

Ian.

Dr. Ian Montgomery,

Histotechnology,

I.B.L.S. Support Unit,