[Histonet] Re: Frozen section turnaround time

RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Tue Aug 14 14:31:47 CDT 2007

Allison Scott (where's LBJ Hospital - is that the LBJ I think it is?) asks
about turnaround time for frozen sections. That's the time from when you receive
the specimen in the laboratory until the time when the pathologist phones the
report to the surgeons.

If I understand it aright, CAP's requirement is 20 minutes for a single
frozen section, but there are no CAP guidelines for multiple frozen sections. The
problem is getting the pathologist to record the time on the frozen section
work sheet - it's a real nuisance, and a lot of fudging of records can be
expected, but the Herrn Inschpektors have no way of knowing that.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN