[Histonet] Re: Frozen section turnaround time

Smith Wanda Wanda.Smith <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Tue Aug 14 16:12:20 CDT 2007

Bob,
AMEN to getting the Pathologist to sign the worksheet!!!!  I have
threatened to break their legs is they walk off without signing.

Regarding the 20 minute TAT, Mr. Gruber at CAP told me that the 20
minutes is from the time the Pathologist starts the frozen section to
the time they call the surgeon.  That makes sense if the Pathologist are
responsible for frozen sections at a remote site that they have to
travel to.

In the narrative after the question in the checklist, it states:
"NOTE:  If 90% of frozen sections are not completed within 20 minutes,
the laboratory must document evaluation of the reason(s) for the delay.
This TAT is intended to apply to the typical single frozen section.  In
cases where there are multiple sequential frozen sections required on a
single specimen (e.g., resection margins), or in cases where additional
studies such as radiographic correlation are required, longer TAT may be
expected"
Hope this helps!!!
Wanda
Wanda G. Smith, HTL(ASCP)HT