[Histonet] Metal staining dishes for BSL3 facility

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Aug 14 13:52:42 CDT 2007

Dear Liz,

Shandon Complete Staining Assembly 117 is stainless steel dishes for 60
slides and are very pricey. I did a search with Thermo Shandon as a key
word.  I have not seen the 30 slide capacity for a long time, but
Shandon-Lipshaw (many, many  names/mergers ago) had them.  We also have
stainless steel pans, with high sides that look like bread pans (both small
and large) and a slide rack for 20 slides fits in the smaller ones
(sideways) and two of the 30 slide capacity or 60 slide capacity fits in
the larger one.  You may find these as they were originally used to
autoclave instruments, or whatever - as for a lid, one could devise
something or cover with foil.

For our BSL3, staining dishes will never be taken out of the
facility.  Consequently, the dishes purchased are chemically resistant
dishes from Ted Pella.  Be sure to check if they really need to have
autoclavable as long as the dishes are never brought out of BSL3
containment.  If they keep this type of item inside the BSL3, then you
should be able to buy regular staining dishes.

Good luck

Gayle Callis HTL, HT, MT(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology