[Histonet] Slide Staining Variability

Tarango, Mark mtarango <@t> nvcancer.org
Thu Aug 9 19:17:53 CDT 2007

I have had this problem before, using the same immunostainer that you're
using.  The problem was the slides, believe it or not.  The slides we
were using before were too hydrophobic, aqueous-based reagents would
bead up and often run right off the slide, into the waste.

The slides would work great at keeping the tissue on, but you have to
make sure that the reagent doesn't run off the slide.  There isn't an
automated stainer that I've seen that can check this.  You might want to
try different slides and see if it makes a difference.

I could tell you which slides weren't working for me, but I don't want
to get myself into trouble.

Mark Adam Tarango HT(ASCP)

Histology/Immunohistochemistry Supervisor

Nevada Cancer Institute

One Breakthrough Way

Las Vegas, NV  89135

mtarango <@t> nvcancer.org