[Histonet] Keep Job Postings Coming

patsy ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Sun Aug 5 14:42:59 CDT 2007

pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
www.ihctech.net

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Emily Sours
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2007 1:42 AM
To: Joseph Kapler; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Keep Job Postings Coming

What does a BS in Histotechnology entail?
I'm curious because I was hired out of college for my experience as a
student intern and my degree in microbiology (nothing fancy--just
doing maxipreps was the qualifier for my current job)
That was eight years ago, and I'm wondering what other techniques I
may not have learned while in college (again, let me emphasize that I
went to college when the term pcr was not taught).  I'm very
interested in any techniques that are "high-tech", aka new within a
couple of years.
If you also know of a site, subscription, etc that would inform me of
this, please let me know.  I love learning new stuff about my job!
I'd also like to add that I'm still paying off student loans after
eight years--I feel your  pain, Joe.  I hope your loans aren't
enormous and ps, you can always be a part-time student to defer your
loans if absolutely necessary.
On this note, is it necessary to have a college degree to be a
histotechnologist (whatever you define this as)? At Pitt, you have to
have a lot of experience to get paid about $30000 and that experience
includes a BS.  I've been around for eight years and have yet to break
the $30000 barrier.  Which makes me bitter.
Our post-doc made about $40000 starting, if you need a scale.

Emily
--
these things happen, you know, you go for a walk in the park one day
and wheelchair ninjas and nazis and pots-and-pans robots show up to