[Histonet] Keep Job Postings Coming

Joseph Kapler drkwolfe <@t> telus.net
Sun Aug 5 19:04:54 CDT 2007

Emily
In my particular case, I am taking my BSc with a Medical Lab Sciences major.
I am also employed by a research lab, and therefore, I find myself given odd
directions for study This week it could be zoology, next week its chemistry.
Essentially, I am taking what courses I can through distance learning, all
laboratory requirements are met through my employer, and the balance of the
course work I take at the local university. Once I have finished my BSc, I
will look to the American and Canadian Histotechnology Societies to
determine if there are any additional courses I require for certification on
both sides of the border.

The ladies and gentlemen of Histonet can give a better description of the
courses required for certification, as well, there are many links listed
within the posts for some excellent sites related to Histotechnology, and
the more advanced biochemical techniques.

Yes, as a part-time student I would be able to defer some of my loans, which
I will be doing, as I will be wanting to eventually get my PhD sometime
before I retire. There are far too many branchs of study that can be
followed once you get into the tree... time to shake the branches and see
what falls out for me this week...

-----Original Message-----
From: Emily Sours [mailto:talulahgosh <@t> gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2007 01:42
To: Joseph Kapler; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Keep Job Postings Coming

What does a BS in Histotechnology entail?
I'm curious because I was hired out of college for my experience as a
student intern and my degree in microbiology (nothing fancy--just
doing maxipreps was the qualifier for my current job)
That was eight years ago, and I'm wondering what other techniques I
may not have learned while in college (again, let me emphasize that I
went to college when the term pcr was not taught).  I'm very
interested in any techniques that are "high-tech", aka new within a
couple of years.
If you also know of a site, subscription, etc that would inform me of
this, please let me know.  I love learning new stuff about my job!
I'd also like to add that I'm still paying off student loans after
eight years--I feel your  pain, Joe.  I hope your loans aren't
enormous and ps, you can always be a part-time student to defer your
loans if absolutely necessary.
On this note, is it necessary to have a college degree to be a
histotechnologist (whatever you define this as)? At Pitt, you have to
have a lot of experience to get paid about $30000 and that experience
includes a BS.  I've been around for eight years and have yet to break
the $30000 barrier.  Which makes me bitter.
Our post-doc made about $40000 starting, if you need a scale.

Emily
--
these things happen, you know, you go for a walk in the park one day
and wheelchair ninjas and nazis and pots-and-pans robots show up to