[Histonet] Re: Finding Lymph Nodes After Fixation

rsrichmond <@t> aol.com rsrichmond <@t> aol.com
Tue Apr 24 12:54:54 CDT 2007

Wanda Smith asks:

>>One of my pathologists asked me to ask a question - Has anyone had
success in finding colonic lymph nodes in fat AFTER
fixation with 10% neutral buffered formalin? This pathologist has tried
Dissect-aid and other solutions that seem to work on fresh fat, but he
has had no luck trying this after the fat has been in formalin.<<

No, this doesn't work. Though often when the specimen arrives in
formalin the fat has been so little penetrated by formalin that using a
disclosing fixative is still worthwhile.

Any other specialty, you'd be able to make arrangements with the
operating room staff to solve this problem. In pathology, the
red-haired stepchild again. And the clinical stakes are high here - one
positive lymph node, however small, requires chemotherapy.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN