[Histonet] comment and question about old blocks

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Jun 16 14:20:09 CDT 2006

Bonnie:
  I think you should ask your legal department because, as far as I know, it is forbidden to sell human tissue for any purpose regardless of identification or age.
  Perhaps you could donate them, but not to sell them (at least that is the regulation in Florida).
  Again, ask your legal department.
  René J.

Bonnie Whitaker <bwhitaker <@t> brownpathology.com> wrote:
  Hi All,

About the rude and vulgar Histonet subscriber that can't figure out how to
unsubscribe, I take some comfort in thinking that someday, a prospective
employer will Google that guy, and hopefully will get all of the "colorful"
remarks on the histonet to use in his or her decision-making process.

Now, on to business: Is there any reason that old (pre-hippa, stuff that
is past the CAP requirement for saving blocks) couldn't be given, traded or
sold at a small fee (just enough to recover costs) to a research entity?
They would not have identification, only a very broad, general diagnosis
(from the ancient card file).

What does everyone think? Has anyone actually consulted their legal
department about this type of issue?

Bonnie Whitaker
Lab Manager
Brown & Associates Medical Laboratories