[Histonet] detecting sphingomyelin

Mary Lloyd lloyd.3 <@t> osu.edu
Tue Jun 13 13:27:41 CDT 2006

Hello everyone,

My name is Molly Rosebush and I am a resident in oral pathology at OSU
working in Mary's lab.  We recently received a biopsy from a patient with
Niemann-Pick disease.  The hallmark of this disorder is accumulation of
sphingomyelin in "foam-like" cells within tissues.
My question is this:
Is there a histochemical or immunohistochemical method/technique for
staining sphingomyelin in formalin-fixed tissue?  We don't really see any
"foam" cells in the specimen, but would like to be able to somehow detect
sphingomyelin (if present) in the tissue.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
--Molly