[Histonet] Electron Microscopy of Cilia

Karen Weidenheim kweidenh <@t> montefiore.org
Fri Jul 28 09:01:10 CDT 2006

I need to look at cilia from the respiratory tract in patients with
repeated sinus infections and pneumonia by electron microscopy, to see
if the microtubules and associated protein linkages are okay.  I have
been staining them with lead citrate and uranyl acetate but while the
microtubules are well stained and crisp, several cases have fuzzy radial
spokes and nexin links.  Is this pathology or do I need to modify my
staining or could these tiny structures be autolysing faster than the
microtubules?
I would be grateful if anyone knows anything about this very
specialized subject.
Thanks
Karen

Karen M. Weidenheim, M.D.
Professor of Pathology, Clinical Neurology and Clinical Neurosurgery
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Chief, Division of Neuropathology
Montefiore Medical Center
111 East 210th Street
Bronx, NY   10467
(718) 920-4446
FAX (718) 653-3409
Beeper (917) 556 3696
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email, including any attachments, is for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  The information contained in
this message may be private and confidential, and may also be subject to
the work product doctrine.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the
original message.  Thank you.