[Histonet] (no subject)

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Wed Jul 26 14:29:05 CDT 2006

This occasionally happens to me.  It seems to be caused by the pH of the
hematoxylin solution or of the first wash water being too high.  To be
specific for nuclei, hematoxylin should be fairly acid.  Most formulas rely
on the alum for acidity.  I prefer Ehrlich's formula which is 3% acetic
acid.  Ehrlich's hematoxylin does become less acid over time, due to the
reaction of the acetic acid with the ethanol. (Old Ehrlich hematoxylin reeks
of ethyl acetate.)

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University School of Graduate Medical Sciences
    Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
Miami Shores, Florida  33161

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Terri Gillow
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2006 3:19 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] (no subject)

I am curious if anyone has ever heard of a "mucin blue day".  Once in a
great while our H&E's on our GI biopsies have a light blue hue in the
area that should be clear. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Any
suggestions on how to figure out why it is happening and how I can
prevent it?

*** CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE ***
The information in this email, including attachments, may be confidential
and/or privileged and may contain confidential health information. This
email is intended to be reviewed only by the individual or organization
named as addressee. If you have received this email in error please notify
the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any
attachments. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of
Warren Hospital.  Confidential health information is protected by state and
federal law, including, but not limited to, the Health Insurance Portability
and Accountability Act of 1996 and related regulations