[Histonet] paraformaldehyde in the microwave

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Fri Jan 13 00:54:02 CST 2006

The source of heat does not matter.
Paraformaldehyde depolymerizes at 60C in the
presence of a base such as disodium hydrogen
phosphate. It won't depolymerize ("dissolve") when
heated in pure water.

This information is present in every
histotechnical textbook published since about
1960. The chemistry is very simple, and abundantly
available on the internet. Paraformaldehyde and
formalin are sources of hydrated formaldehyde,
which fixes tissues well if used at approximately
neutral pH for 12-24 hours.

John Kiernan
London, Canada.