[Histonet] paraformaldehyde in the microwave

Michael Doube m.doube <@t> qmul.ac.uk
Fri Jan 13 05:27:05 CST 2006

Thanks for your reply John.

I am aware that certain tissue prep protocols are substantitally
accelerated by microwave radiation independent of a direct thermal
effect, so my question was more to discover whether a similar
acceleration effect might operate duing simple chemical preparation.
This is based on the chance observation that a few minutes on low, with
the PFA suspension in a flask in a large water bath was sufficient to
make my PFA depolymerise.

Thanks to all those concerned about fume safety, yes we are fume hooded
and well ventilated (to a fault, actually) and I seal the top of my flask.

Michael